Shopping for clothes can be frustrating. All too often I hear, “I hate to shop, but I need……” Others breeze right into the store rubbing their hands in gleeful expectation of walking out with the perfect item or outfit. However you may feel, clothes define us. They tell our story. So, let’s forget about those few pounds you think you need to lose and get comfortable with styles that compliment your shape now. Your body type will dictate the design of the garment that will flatter your form. Let’s figure out your shape and what works best for that unique form.
Basic Body Shapes
There are four basic body shapes in the classic sense as you can see in this diagram. Since my customers don’t all fit into those molds, I’ve added two more for you to consider as well.
- Hour Glass ~ curvy body, the “perfect figure”
- Rectangle ~ small frame with little or no curves, athletic shape
- Pear ~ smaller on top, heavier from the waist down (also called a triangle shape)
- Apple ~ heavier on top, smaller on the bottom (also called an apple shape)
- Round ~ the center of your body is the largest
- Petite ~ dainty, slender (sometimes), delicate, small shoulders
What’s My Body Type?
Ok ladies, you are the most important person in your universe. Wear clothes you love and feel good in.
“It’s the attitude, not the clothes. Be confident in what you put on and you will be fine, regardless of your body type.” Josh Christopher, designer for daftbird.
Speaking of confidence, let’s take it to another level. We know we’ve chosen the right ensemble when we get compliments from others. The question that needs to be asked is “ how often do you get a flattering remark about what you’re wearing?” If the answer is “well, not that often”, then it’s time to explore what styles look best on your body type.